Travel to Sri Lanka: Colombo: Photo 11
Not your typical church: St. Peter's, which stands at the harbor side next to the Grand Oriental Hotel, was the home of the Dutch governors and later served as the Government House of the first British governor, Frederick North. The British attended service at the Wolfendahl Church until 1804, when this building became the Fort Church. In 1821, it was consecrated as St. Peter's. In Tombstones and Monuments in Ceylon (1913), the indefatigable J. Penry Lewis suggests that the portico and verandas were British additions to the original building.
Back to Sri Lanka: Colombo chapter
Short link for this page: http://www.greatmirror.com?justpic=16424
* Australia's Northern Territory * Austria * Bangladesh * Belgium * Brazil (Manaus) * Burma / Myanmar * Cambodia (Angkor) * Canada (B.C.) * China * Czech Republic * Egypt * France * Germany * Greece * Hungary * India: Themes * Northern India * Peninsular India * Indonesia * Israel * Italy * Japan * Jerusalem * Jordan * Kenya * Laos * Kosovo * Malaysia * Mexico * Morocco * Mozambique * Namibia * Netherlands * Norway * Oman * Pakistan * Philippines * Poland * Portugal * Singapore * South Africa * Spain * Sri Lanka * Sudan * Syria * Tanzania * Thailand * Trinidad * Turkey * United Arab Emirates * United Kingdom * U.S.: East * U.S.: West * U.S.: Oklahoma * Uzbekistan * Vietnam * West Bank * Yemen * Zimbabwe *