Notes on the Geography of South Africa: Swellendam 2: Museums: Photo 1
The Drostdy, which served as the home plus offices and court of the Landdrost, was begun in 1746, one year after the Colonie in de Vergeleegene Districten (the far-off districts) was proclaimed. Timbers came from the Langeberg, the mountain behind the town. Originally the house had a T-shaped floor plan, but it was enlarged in 1813 to form an H. Perched on the frontier, the Drostdy was "a landmark in the history of South Africa. Hardly any event of importance passed it by. Moreover, it was a rendezvous for the travellers and governors on their journeys to the far east..." (Oberholster, The Historical Monuments of South Africa, 1972, p. 114). The building was sold in 1855 to raise money, and it remained private until 1939. Perhaps the building looks fine as is, but it originally had a front gable, lost during the period of private ownership.
Short link for this page: http://www.greatmirror.com?justpic=37171
* Argentina * Australia * Austria * Bangladesh * Belgium * Botswana * Brazil * Burma / Myanmar * Cambodia (Angkor) * Canada (B.C.) * China * The Czech Republic * Egypt * Fiji * France * Germany * Ghana * Greece * Hungary * India: Themes * Northern India * Peninsular India * Indonesia * Israel * Italy * Japan * Jerusalem * Jordan * Kenya * Laos * Kosovo * Malawi * Malaysia * Mauritius * Mexico * Micronesia (Pohnpei) * Morocco * Mozambique * Namibia * The Netherlands * New Zealand * Nigeria * Norway * Oman * Pakistan * Peru * The Philippines * Poland * Portugal * Senegal * Singapore * South Africa * South Korea * Spain * Sri Lanka * Sudan * Syria (Aleppo) * Tanzania * Thailand * Trinidad * Turkey (Istanbul) * Uganda * The U.A.E. (Dubai) * The United Kingdom * The Eastern United States * The Western United States * Oklahoma * Uzbekistan * Vietnam * The West Bank * Yemen * Zambia * Zimbabwe *