Notes on the Geography of Great Mirror: Photo 7
On the left, the so-called Sexton's House, now the Dutch embassy. On the right, the parsonage, now the gold museum. In the middle, the Lutheran church built by Martin Melck under the subterfuge that he was building a warehouse. No choice: the government allowed churches of any and all denominations, so long as they were Dutch Reformed. The "warehouse" was completed in 1776 with organ and lectern, was used almost at once for services, and, the government relenting, acquired a pastor in 1779. The facade ornament is by the busy, busy Anton Anreith, but the chunky spire is not his fault: it was added in 1818.
Back to Great Mirror chapter
Short link for this page: http://www.greatmirror.com?justpic=37503
* Argentina * Australia * Austria * Bangladesh * Belgium * Botswana * Brazil * Burma / Myanmar * Cambodia (Angkor) * Canada (B.C.) * China * The Czech Republic * Egypt * Fiji * France * Germany * Ghana * Greece * Guyana * Hungary * India: Themes * Northern India * Peninsular India * Indonesia * Israel * Italy * Japan * Jerusalem * Jordan * Kenya * Laos * Kosovo * Malawi * Malaysia * Mauritius * Mexico * Micronesia (Pohnpei) * Morocco * Mozambique * Namibia * The Netherlands * New Zealand * Nigeria * Norway * Oman * Pakistan * Peru * The Philippines * Poland * Portugal * Romania (Transylvania) * Senegal * Singapore * South Africa * South Korea * Spain * Sri Lanka * Sudan * Syria (Aleppo) * Tanzania * Thailand * Trinidad * Turkey (Istanbul) * Uganda * The U.A.E. (Dubai) * The United Kingdom * The Eastern United States * The Western United States * Oklahoma * Uruguay * Uzbekistan * Vietnam * The West Bank * Yemen * Zambia * Zimbabwe *