Notes on the Geography of Great Mirror: Photo 2
The church shown in the last picture was condemned in 1920 and demolished five years later. Work on its replacement began that year but was suspended in 1932. Work began again in 1957, but it was a new era. Farewell, marble blocks; hello, concrete faced with plaster and pulverized marble. The new church was completed in 1967.
The steps had been completed much earlier, in 1913. They were designed by a local architect, Arthur Reynolds Griffin, and they replaced wooden flights. The donor, Thomas Cawthron, had made a fortune supplying gold miners and then investing his earnings shrewdly. He asked for "a real good job, bold, massive and ornamental." He got it, too, though Griffin's architectural training consisted of a course from the International Correspondence School in Scranton, Pennsylvania. Griffin continued to practice until about 1960.
Back to Great Mirror chapter
Short link for this page: http://www.greatmirror.com?justpic=41947
* Argentina * Australia * Austria * Bangladesh * Belgium * Botswana * Brazil * Burma / Myanmar * Cambodia (Angkor) * Canada (B.C.) * China * The Czech Republic * Egypt * Fiji * France * Germany * Ghana * Greece * Guyana * Hungary * India: Themes * Northern India * Peninsular India * Indonesia * Israel * Italy * Japan * Jerusalem * Jordan * Kenya * Laos * Kosovo * Malawi * Malaysia * Mauritius * Mexico * Micronesia (Pohnpei) * Morocco * Mozambique * Namibia * The Netherlands * New Zealand * Nigeria * Norway * Oman * Pakistan * Peru * The Philippines * Poland * Portugal * Romania (Transylvania) * Senegal * Singapore * South Africa * South Korea * Spain * Sri Lanka * Sudan * Syria (Aleppo) * Tanzania * Thailand * Trinidad * Turkey (Istanbul) * Uganda * The U.A.E. (Dubai) * The United Kingdom * The Eastern United States * The Western United States * Oklahoma * Uruguay * Uzbekistan * Vietnam * The West Bank * Yemen * Zambia * Zimbabwe *