Notes on the Geography of Peninsular India: Chennai / Madras 3: British Churches: Photo 30
An Armenian church was first built on this site in 1712 but was rebuilt in 1772 with funds donated by Aga Shawmier Sultan, who sold some of his ancestral land for the purpose. At one time there was a large Armenian community in the city, and the British welcomed it for its trading prowess, but by 2003 there were almost no Armenians left in the city--only two families, according to Kalpana and Schiffer (Madras: The Architectural Heritage, 2003).
Short link for this page: http://www.greatmirror.com?justpic=38273
* Argentina * Australia * Austria * Bangladesh * Belgium * Botswana * Brazil * Burma / Myanmar * Cambodia (Angkor) * Canada (B.C.) * China * The Czech Republic * Egypt * Fiji * France * Germany * Ghana * Greece * Hungary * India: Themes * Northern India * Peninsular India * Indonesia * Israel * Italy * Japan * Jerusalem * Jordan * Kenya * Laos * Kosovo * Malawi * Malaysia * Mauritius * Mexico * Micronesia (Pohnpei) * Morocco * Mozambique * Namibia * The Netherlands * New Zealand * Nigeria * Norway * Oman * Pakistan * Peru * The Philippines * Poland * Portugal * Romania (Transylvania) * Senegal * Singapore * South Africa * South Korea * Spain * Sri Lanka * Sudan * Syria (Aleppo) * Tanzania * Thailand * Trinidad * Turkey (Istanbul) * Uganda * The U.A.E. (Dubai) * The United Kingdom * The Eastern United States * The Western United States * Oklahoma * Uzbekistan * Vietnam * The West Bank * Yemen * Zambia * Zimbabwe *