Notes on the Geography of The Eastern United States: Harrisburg, Bellefonte, and Boalsburg: Photo 21
The courthouse faces Brockerhoff House, built by a German immigrant who had served in Napoleon's army but emigrated and ultimately made good in Bellefonte. The site had been a tavern as early as 1804, and Brockerhoff bought that tavern in 1840. After a fire in 1864, he rebuilt the place in stone and brick: he could afford it because the Civil War had been very good to Pennsylvanians connected to the iron industry. Brockerhoff died in 1878, and about 20 years later, the fourth floor and slate Mansard roof were added by new owners. The hotel remained in business until 1960. It now provides federally subsidized or Section 8 accommodation for low-income residents.
Short link for this page: http://www.greatmirror.com?justpic=38369