Notes on the Geography of The Eastern United States: Harrisburg, Bellefonte, and Boalsburg: Photo 26
A few years later, in 1814, another ironmaster, Joseph Miles, built this similar but bigger house, on the verge of mansiondom. The house today is much modified, however. The porch at the back, part of an L-wing, was added by a later owner, who also modified the facade, adding the fan and side lights around the front door. Another of the additions has been removed: it was a large front porch, added by architect Cole. The porch, which was square, roofed and supported by massive square piers, created a balcony accessed through the door above the front door. To create that porch, the entire house was moved back 12 feet, contrary to the prevailing front-of-the-lot custom. In 1935 the house was bequeathed to become the town's public library, part of which it remains. At that time the porch was removed.
Short link for this page: http://www.greatmirror.com?justpic=38375