Notes on the Geography of Peninsular India: Hampi Sacred Center: Photo 7
The east gopuram or entrance tower to the Virupaksha or Pampapati Swami Temple was built in the 1400s but rebuilt about 1800, perhaps by the same British officers in Bellary who are known to have repaired another part of the complex, the northern tower. The gopuram form comes from farther south--a Tamil inscription on this gopuram reinforces that point--as does the construction method, with a granite base but a brick and plaster pyramid. Another standard element of the form is the open window on each level.
Short link for this page: http://www.greatmirror.com?justpic=35022